Sunday 12 March 2017

Our yard!

This is our yard - I took this picture before we moved in. You can see it is very bare, and the grass is almost non-existent. We also have an excellent view into the neighbour's yard behind us (lucky for us, he is a very nice neighbour!).


 This is post-move, as can be seen by the gigantic trampoline and the kids' clam shell. Also our dog Charlie, who is patiently (for a change) waiting to see if pats will be offered. We put up the chain link fence you can see behind the bins there before we moved in - when you sister-in-law is your landlord, putting up child-containment fencing becomes much easier! The neighbours on that side are also lovely, and are keen gardeners too. I've already been gifted with some cuttings, and I have a few plants here to share in return.


 Here you can see our patio area. If you look closely along the top of the photo you will see the very edge of another garden shed, which is the same size as the one on the slab behind the patio. It used to be on the pavers, taking up valuable patio space, so we moved it. We're not sure what we will do with it yet, but the extra patio space is excellent. We're putting in gardens around the edges of the pavers up that end, initially filled with geraniums (I have a reason for that, which I will detail in my next post) but eventually to be filled with herbs and flowers, a lemon tree and some salad greens. Probably a cherry tomato, and some beans too, to make for a quick salad. Basically whatever will fit in there...




These are some photos of my last garden. I've always loved mixed plantings of vegies, herbs and flowers. And I'm convinced that it makes each of them healthier than they would be on their own. I often let things go to seed, both to collect the seed and to attract pollinators and predators. Looking at these photos makes me miss having a productive garden, but it also makes me excited to know I will have that again, as long as I'm patient!

Take care oxox

2 comments:

  1. Wow Naomi, what a great blank slate! My new yard is the opposite :P total weed jungle! You are going to have a great time setting your new garden up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katrina! I'm having great fun planning out the new garden :)

    ReplyDelete